Important Update - Red Level Decision, News, U18 / U22 (Guelph Girls Hockey Association)

PrintNews Article
Click to view full-size image
Organization - Important Update - Red Level Decision
Submitted By Amanda Scott on Friday, November 27, 2020
Thank you to those who participated in our preliminary Red Level Survey, we had a 69% membership response rate (221 out of 320 responded) to the survey.


This indicated that 41.6% of surveyed members wanted to continue with fewer practices, and 40.7% of surveyed members wanted to continue with fewer practices with the option to withdraw if restrictions are prolonged. This is a total of 82.3% that felt they wanted to continue on-ice play should we move into the Red Level.

We have some good news and some great news!

While creating our Red Level strategy, there are factors that we can’t control or plan for. Those factors would be, extra restrictions set by Guelph Wellington Public Health, U of G and/or the City of Guelph. The good news is that the OWHA has provided clarity to us from the provincial government. The capacity limits (10 people) apply to the players, not the employees, coaches and trainers.

The great news is that, for our HL teams you have paid enough fees to cover costs up to mid-January (should we remain in the Orange level, and likely end of Dec should we move to Red level). The fees paid by most of our rep teams cover costs to the Christmas break. We will not be asking for another registration fee until the mid to end of January. 

Level Red Strategy - Control

We, the GGHA Board of Directors, have made the unanimous decision, should Guelph enter into the level red restrictions, we will move forward with rotating practices at 10 players per practice. There will be no physical contact, no scrimmages or games and all other regulated restrictions applied. The drills will be modified, and you’ll be learning some great skills on the ice.

The board has also decided that we will be taking a break period during the holidays, including a pause in all activities from Dec 24th to January 10th. It is imperative and proactive that we plan ahead for the event that cases spike after the holiday. 

Should we currently continue playing another two weeks in the Orange level, but find that on Dec 14th we are placed into the red level restrictions, we will append this week onto our holiday break period.

Longer Season

The benefits that we’ve experienced with having more ice time, no tournaments, very little referees, and the OHL extending their season, will enable us to extend our season until sometime in May. This will negate the need for full membership withdrawals. For those members who would like to temporarily withdraw until restrictions are lessened, then you may do so. Please contact your coach and the registrar ([email protected]) indicating your intentions.  

Thank you

We value your feedback and support. We hope to continue playing hockey in the orange level. When or if the shift to red level restriction occurs, we will require your patience as we negotiate ice and schedules to accommodate the player rotations.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to one of the board members ([email protected]) or reply to this email, we’ll be happy to assist with your inquiry.


All the best,

GGHA Board of Directors

This article has been viewed 2718 times.
View Another League
Social Networking
Follow Us On
Follow Guelph Girls Hockey Association on Twitter
- and -
Visit Guelph Girls Hockey Association on Facebook
- and -
Follow Guelph Girls Hockey Association on Instagram
Manage Subscriptions
Signup to receive email or text messages for the teams you want to follow.
News ArchiveOther Recent Articles
  • 04
    Register by June 13 for the 2021 AGM (to be held June 14 at 7pm) by sending an email to [email protected] and include the number of players (to determine the number of votes you have). Aren't able to participate? Submit the 2021_GGHA_AGM_Proxy by June ...
  • 26
    We’re back and excited to see you at the rink. Please read about screening requirements – there are a few changes - and protocols before you come to the rink. Screening Every player, coach, parent/guardian accompanying the player must complete ...
  • 22
    We wish you the very best this holiday season. 
  • 22
    We're now accepting applications for the following
  • 11
    The Provincial Minister of Health Christine Elliott made the announcement today that Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health will move into the "red zone" of the province's COVID-19 framework as of 12:01 a.m. Monday. 
  • 30
    Unfortunately, news coming from the City of Guelph is that they will close arenas should we move to Red Level restrictions.
  • 23
    Guelph continues to be in Orange level - Restrict.
  • 11
    Our First Edition of the Red Line. Your Centre for GGHA Community News
Printed from on Saturday, June 19, 2021 at 12:04 AM