INTRODUCTION TO THE U9 HOCKEY PROGRAM
Under 9 (Novice) Program (birth years 2013 to 2014)
In accordance with Hockey Canada and Ontario Women's Hockey Association guidelines, this program for 7- and 8-year-olds emphasizes skill development with weekly professional-led practices and structured half-ice games.
For more information on the U9 Pathways program click here
All participating players will be required to wear full hockey equipment. Jerseys and socks are included in the cost of the program.
U9 Local League
- Regular ice sessions (generally 2 per week)
- Friday night practices
- Home games are Sunday afternoons for U9, on half-ice. Away games usually on weekends.
- Teams play in the Kitchener Girls Local League, with 8-10 away games during the season against centres such as Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, and Fergus.
- Scheduling has been delayed until early October, with league play starting just after Thanksgiving.
- There are pre-season skills sessions staring late September, with teams formed by early October. See www.ggha.com for more information.
Players receive home and away jerseys and socks, which are theirs to keep.
The U9 calendar is here: U9 League Home Page.
Registration for U9 Local League, including the 4 pre-season skills sessions, is required and the link is here Local League Registration Early registration is encouraged as space is limited. You must register at least 72hrs before the first skills session on Sept. 24.
U9A Development Team
- More competitive than Local League, with additional practice times and access to Jr. Gryphon development sessions at the University of Guelph
- More practices during the week, including regular 6:30am practices (once every 1-2 weeks). Home games will be Sunday afternoons. Away games to be determined, but effort is made to have weekend games, if possible.
- U9A plays half ice games for the first half of the season.
- Fees are accordingly higher than Local League.
- Players are supplied with home and away jerseys and socks; they get to keep the socks.
- Scheduling as been delayed until early October, with league play starting after Thanksgiving. Opposing teams will be identified then.
U9A Pre-Season Development Sessions for U9 Players interested in playing U9A
In accordance with Hockey Canada’s Development Pathways, U9 players interested in playing at a higher level on our U9A team will begin with 5 development sessions. The cost of these sessions are included in your registration fees.
click here for Pre-Tryout development sessions calendar
- If you wish your daughter to be considered for the U9A then sign up for the U9A tryout package. This includes 5 pre-tryout development sessions followed by 3 tryouts. See team calendar. Teams to be selected determined by early October.
- The tryout packages are free for GGHA members.
Tryouts for the U9A Development team will begin after the completion of the development sessions. Players must register for and participate in the U9 development sessions to be eligible for these tryouts.
click here to register for the Pathways development sessions and tryouts for U9A. You must register in advance, and no later than by Sept. 12.