GRYPHONS MIDGET A:
Skills and Tactics that will bring success:
1. Win battles and races – watch body not the puck
2. Manage puck – protect puck and hold on to it – feet moving – deception – put between feet and stick when player opens up.
3. Create time and space with and without puck – run obstructions or blocks
4. Stop on puck and get back on top of puck – take a bad pass
5. Stick on puck and on ice to take lanes away – angling and finishing bumps, cut off hands, surfing in neutral and offensive zone.
6. Block shots and stay on D-side of puck
7. Goalie presence – screen goalie high or low, stick on ice to tip
8. Proper line change– 30 to 40 second shifts – one at a time (especially D and move over) – don’t change if teammate is on a rush.
9. Faceoff ready – centre communicate and have a plan
10. Communicate – on ice and on the bench, positive/directional
11. Shooting – when to shoot/pass/move – when to flick/shovel, backhand or quick release
Guelph Girls Hockey Association